The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has asked the Central Bank and other financial regulatory agencies to look into the frivolous financial loan facilities being granted to people without collateral by some dubious companies.
CAN said its attention was drawn to the antics of some faceless people who are unknown in the financial sector but giving out loan facilities to vulnerable people as a result of economic predicaments in the country.
A statement by the General Secretary of CAN, Barrister Joseph Daramola said according to its findings, some unscrupulous people developed their apps to extort money from innocent people on the pretext of giving them short loan facilities.
“Their interests are not only higher than the banks’ but they use blackmail and other antics to get their money back in case of default whereas their victims must have overpaid the loan secured but run into trouble as a result of the ungodly interests. They will be harassing and embarrassing the contacts of their victims asking them for their intervention to recover their money.
“These are not only against the financial regulation but totally unacceptable, irresponsible, suicidal and unfair.
“We are calling on the Governor of the Apex Bank, Godwin Emefele, the Ministry of Finance and other related agencies to, as a matter of urgency, intervene before their victims begin to use self-help to free themselves from the public ridicule and embarrassment.
“It easier to condemn those who take such loans because they were not forced to do so but when we critically examined the economic conditions of the country and the attendant consequences, we have realized that it would take only the disciplined and the godly people to say NO to the trap.
“CAN is also calling on the Federal government to bring the economy out of the woods as a way of restoring sanity back to the polity. We don’t need the quarterly report of the Nigerian Bureau of Statistics to know that life is becoming unbearable and tough for the citizens, irrespective of their economic status,” the statement added.
eNaira is a central bank digital currency (CBDC) issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria as a legal tender. It is the digital form of the Naira and will be used just like cash.
WHAT IS AN eNAIRA WALLET?
The eNaira wallet is a digital storage that holds the eNaira. It is held and managed on a distributed ledger.
The eNaira wallet is required to access, hold and use eNaira.
IS eNAIRA A CRYPTOCURRENCY?
No, it is not.
• eNaira is a legal tender backed by law, the full sovereignty of Nigeria, and issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria.
• Cryptocurrencies are private digital currencies, not backed by law, underlying assets or by the sovereignty of any nation. They are not legal tender currencies.
• eNaira is a unit of account, store of value and medium of exchange.
• Cryptocurrencies do not have all these qualities
WHAT MAKES eNAIRA DIFFERENT FROM THE MONEY IN MY BANK ACCOUNT?
• eNaira is the digital form of the cash and is a direct liability on the Central Bank of Nigeria while the customer deposits are direct liabilities on the financial institutions.
IN A TYPICAL TRANSACTION, WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ONLINE BANK TRANSACTION AND eNAIRA WALLET?
There are intermediaries for the typical online bank transactions, whereas for eNaira transactions, there are no intermediaries.
WHAT IS THE PRIMARY ROLE OF THE CBN WITH RESPECT TO eNAIRA?
In line with Section 2 of the CBN Act 2007, the CBN is the issuing authority of all forms of Naira.
The Central bank will also be responsible for determining the technical, regulatory and operational standards for eNaira to guide financial institutions.
WILL eNAIRA REPLACE CASH?
No, it will circulate alongside cash. The eNaira will complement cash as a less costly, more efficient, generally accepted, safe, and trusted means of payment.
IS eNAIRA SAFE?
eNaira is safe and secured with cryptographic techniques against counterfeiting, cloning, and other forms of attack.
As an eNaira holder, am I assured of data privacy?
Yes. Similar to the privacy enjoyed by current online banking patrons, the eNaira system has been designed to ensure data and user privacy. There are also operational policies and procedures in place to protect users’ identity and privacy.
WHO CAN ACCESS eNAIRA?
Similar to cash, any person or business can have access to eNaira as long as they have the requirements for onboarding.
WHAT IS THE EXCHANGE RATE BETWEEN eNAIRA AND PHYSICAL NAIRA?
The eNaira will have the same value as the physical naira. As such, it will be exchanged one to one.
How do I access eNaira?
Customers will be able to access eNaira via the eNaira wallet in app stores such as Google Play store and the Apple App store.
HOW ARE eNAIRA WALLETS CREATED?
• For smart phone users, download the eNaira app (termed “Speed”) from either the Google Play Store or Apple Store and complete the registration process.
• Feature phone users, will utilize USSD codes and follow the registration prompts
How do I get eNaira into my eNaira wallet?
There are several ways to do so
• Direct transfer from your bank account;
• Transfer from another wallet either individual or merchant;
• Cash payment through an agent or a bank
How do I connect my eNaira wallet to my bank account?
The eNaira app allows customers to identify a bank of their choice, connect to their bank accounts and perform transactions.
HOW DO I CREATE A MERCHANT eNAIRA WALLET FOR MY BUSINESS?
To create an eNaira wallet as a merchant/corporate, you will be required to follow the required steps:
• Visit app stores such as Google Play Store or Apple Store to download the eNaira wallet;
• Register by providing your Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and identify a bank of your choice for validation;
• Upon successful validation of a merchant’s details by a preferred bank, the merchant’s bank will create a wallet and advise the merchant
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TIERS OF eNAIRA WALLETS THAT I CAN OPEN AS A MERCHANT?
• As a merchant/corporate, you can open a merchant wallet with full KYC requirements for opening a merchant/ corporate account. The stipulated limits on the wallet are as follows:
HOW DO I RESOLVE FAILED TRANSACTIONS OR RAISE ENQUIRES ON eNAIRA?
• Reach out to the customer support of the bank you selected when registering for eNaira through their available channels which includes: phone (0800myenaira), email, whatsapp, etc Disputes will be resolved as soon as possible.
• If a customer’s complaints are not resolved within 48 hours, send an email to CBN’s eNaira Customer Support via email@example.com
IS eNAIRA WALLET SAFE?
• Yes. The eNaira system uses a two-factor authentication system in addition to cryptographic encryption to ensure the safety of customers’ wallets and the eNaira holding.
HOW DO I RESET MY PASSWORD?
You can also rest your password within the App by navigating the settings menu.